- Cornwall Central Middle School
Welcome Back to CCMS!
August 22, 2023
Dear Cornwall Central Middle School Families,
I hope this letter finds you all in great spirits and eagerly anticipating the start of a brand new school year. As we gear up for another exciting academic adventure, I wanted to extend my warmest welcome to both returning and new families at CCMS.
The faculty and staff have been diligently preparing for the upcoming academic year, ensuring that our students receive the highest quality education in a safe and nurturing environment. Our commitment to fostering a culture of learning, creativity, and community remains unwavering, and we are excited to embark on this journey together.
At CCMS, we strongly believe in the power of collaboration between parents, teachers, and students. We encourage open communication and active involvement from families to create a supportive and enriching learning experience for all students. Your continued partnership is invaluable to the success of our school community.
Please keep an eye on our school website and your email for important updates, announcements, and resources to stay connected with the school community. Additionally, I encourage you to follow our Instagram @CornwallCentralMiddleSchool for glimpses into daily life at CCMS.
Please take a moment to read the important information below as it is intended to help assist you and your child transition into the new school year.
The first official day of school for all students is Tuesday, September 5, 2023.
Parents are asked to be patient the first few mornings as bus pick-up is typically late during the first few days of school. If you choose to drive your child to school, please note that this year parents will not be allowed into the circle for drop-off prior to 7:55 am. Please be advised that parent drop-off cannot be any earlier than 7:55 a.m. During drop-off, buses will enter the circle at 7:55 am and will be unloaded one by one. Students will enter the building and proceed directly to their homeroom. Students who wish to purchase breakfast will be able to do so in the large cafeteria.
Drop-off and pick-up time at Middle School is a very busy time and we need to keep traffic flowing as smoothly as possible while keeping our students safe and our driveway accessible for our buses. Therefore, parking in the circle is prohibited at all times. Parents are asked to use the visitor parking area when there is a need to exit your vehicle. Please drop your child off in the area near the flagpole to allow our buses access to the curb in front of the main entrance. Students may only exit the vehicle on the curbside of the circle. At no time should students be allowed to exit on the driver’s side. Homeroom begins at 8:05 a.m. Students are expected to be in homeroom when announcements begin.
In the afternoon, students who ride the bus are dismissed first, at 2:47 p.m., followed by walkers at approximately 2:53 p.m. Walkers will not be dismissed until all of the buses have departed the circle. In order to assure our students safe boarding of their buses, the school entrance will be closed at 2:30 p.m. to all vehicles except buses, and opened after the buses have departed the circle. Parents/guardians picking up their children who would like to use the parking lot are asked to be in the lot prior to 2:30 p.m. For safety and security purposes, parents are required to remain in their vehicles during dismissal and allow their children to come to them.
We will continue to utilize Parent Portal and School Messenger for important communications home. In particular, student schedules, progress reports, and report card grades can be accessed through Parent Portal. If you have not opened an account or need help accessing your account, please look for information on the school’s website or contact the main office. Student schedules will NOT be mailed home but will be available on August 25th on Parent Portal. It is extremely important that students note their homeroom; a hard copy of their schedule will be available in that classroom.
Any family without access to Parent Portal may call the guidance office at (845) 534-8009 x. 4012 on Thursday, August 31st, and Friday, September 1st between 9:00 am and 2:30 pm for their student’s homeroom.
Please make note of the following information as we begin the school year:
• The school nurse will be available Tuesday, August 30, and Wednesday, August 31 from 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. for medicine drop-off and sports physical review. Medication must be accompanied by orders from the prescribing physician.
• School supply lists can be found online at www.cornwallschools.com. Follow the link to the Middle School and click on “Students/Supply Lists” at the top of the screen.
• Transportation and district bus routes will be available on the district transportation website. Questions regarding transportation can be directed to (845) 534-8009 x7100.
• On the first day of school, 5th graders will report to the auditorium to meet their homeroom teacher. All other students (gr. 6-8) will report directly to their homeroom.
• Walkers and those that need handicapped access may use the rear doors of the building. No other students may be dropped off at the back door.
• Lunch is available for $3.25 and breakfast is available for $2.00 at 7:50 a.m. in the large cafeteria. Students will continue to use the same PIN number assigned to them last year. Anyone who may need assistance with breakfast or lunch for his or her child, please contact Amy Bishopp at (845)534-8009 ext 7700.
• Throughout the course of the year situations may arise that require additional support for our students and families. We encourage all families and students to touch base with CCMS staff.
• Students will be coming home during the first few days of school with important information for parents to review and sign. Please be on the lookout.
• If you have not opened a Parent Portal account or need help accessing your account, please look for information on the website (http://www.cornwallschools.com/) or contact the main office (534-8009 x4000). The portal is used to share student progress reports and report card grades.
Should you have any questions, concerns, or ideas to share, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We value your feedback and are always here to assist you.
On behalf of the administration, faculty and staff at CCMS, I wish your child a successful 2023-24 middle school year.